Government Building and Development Permits
Do I need a building permit?
What is a building permit?
A building permit gives you legal permission to start the construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications. By working with the building inspector, you will benefit from their knowledge of the building codes to ensure your construction project is built right, will be safe, and will last. Safe construction practices help protect you, your family, your friends, and your investment.
When do I need a building permit?
The best way to find out if you need a permit is to call the Village of St.Pierre office or discuss your plans with building inspectors before you begin construction to determine whether you need a permit.
Building Permits are required for the following
- Single- & two-family dwellings.
- Multi-family dwellings.
- Attached garages or carports
- Decks attached to a dwelling or to an existing attached deck that is over 2ft high.
- Additions (enclosed decks, sunrooms)
- Detached accessory structures of 108 sq. ft. or more in building area.
- Structural alterations / renovations.
- Demolition or relocation of any structure.
- Temporary structures
- Swimming pools (hot tubs, fish ponds) additionally require a 6ft enclosed fence.
- Plumbing (including sump pits, sump pumps, backwater valves).
- Wood Stove/Fireplace.
- Basement development (foundation repairs, floodproofing, structure altercation)
- Electrical including (including air conditioner).
- Change of use permits
Building Permits are not required for the following
- Painting, stucco, siding, shingles where the same material is used.
- Replacement of doors or windows where the size of the openings is not altered.
- Installation of cabinets or shelves.
- Non-structural alterations/renovations.
- Detached accessory structures less than 108 sq. ft. in building area. These structures are still required to meet the minimum front, side and rear yard requirements, and the separation distance requirements between the dwelling and accessory structure under the Zoning By-Law. (Development permit needed)
- Fences (Development permit needed)
- Interior work (painting, patching, decorating, installing cabinets or shelves).
How can I obtain a building permit?
To obtain a building permit there is key information is required.
Building/Structure Site Plan to include the following
- Survey of property or Staking certificate. (To be considered essential)
- Location of proposed building/structure, including dimensions of building/structure.
- Distances from all property lines to the proposed building/structure.
- Both digital or two paper copies are required and should be clearly marked and labelled (a large set must be available on-site).
- Sealed by a Professional Engineer (required and must appear on 1 set of paperwork).
- Letters of Assurance from Engineer (when requested).
List of available permits below
How do I start?
Below is the first piece of the application process. After filling out the form the Village St Pierre Jolys will get back to you on the next step in your application.